It has been an age old theory that there is a relationship between coffee and hemorrhoids. Some say that drinking coffee can start hemorrhoids while others say that consuming coffee, while it posses no health threat, can and will aggravate bleeding should the drinker already be a hemorrhoid patient. Due to these theories, many have reduced their coffee intake or perhaps even abstained from consumption.
WHAT ARE HEMORRHOIDS?
Simply put, hemorrhoids are an inflammation of the veins around the anus causing them to bleed out in most cases – It is not a pretty experience. They could be caused by a number of factors like
- Strained bowel movements
- Low-fibre diets
- Constipation (take note of this one)
- Sitting for extended periods of time on the toilet
- Anal Intercourse
As you may have gathered b now, hemorrhoids are painful but they are not a death sentence. But that is enough about hemorrhoids. Let us examine the main purpose of this article; and that is the coffee and hemorrhoid relationship.
Does Coffee Irritate Hemorrhoids ?
- First off, let us get rid of all the suspense; Coffee, in and of itself does no cause hemorrhoids but that deserves to be explained further. Coffee dehydrates the body and if your water intake is not enough to counter the dehydration, then you would have a case of dry stools which could then lead to hemorrhoids.
- Heavy consumers of coffee – and by heavy we mean anything more than 1-2 cups in a day, could get a case of constipation (remember the point you were to take note of?) because of the reaction of the caffeine with the stomach lining. When there is constipation, here are bound to be strained bowel movements, extended periods of sitting on the toilet and let’s face it, the odds are not in your favour.
- Again with the caffeine; caffeine causes a surge in blood flow and do you remember hemorrhoids bleed? So with increased blood flow, the bleeding – not he pain – ends to be more for those who are already suffering from hemorrhoids.
So we see that there is indeed a relationship between coffee and hemorrhoids. It may not be as sinister as some have imagined but still not so far from the rumours. If a person is suffering from hemorrhoids, the experts advise that the patient in question stay away from coffee so as to speed up the healing process but as we have seen, it is purely because caffeine messes with blood flow.
So there is no need to run away from coffee because you do not want to get the hemorrhoids. What would be beneficial is to �up’ water intake and there would be nothing to worry about. Not only does water neutralize the adverse effects of coffee, it is awesome for all round well being. So by following these guide lines, we all should be safe having gained the right information about the relationship between